Saturday 19 December 2015

Tribute from Michelle Bui




Yesterday marked 2 months since Khodayar Amini took his life. 
Today marks the burial of Mohammad Nasim Najafi.

Khodayar was best friends with Nasim. 
Both had come to Australia in search of a safe and peaceful home. 
Both had experienced immeasurable loss in Afghanistan, having seen family and friends slaughtered by the Taliban.
Both survived tumultuous waters; a harsh and cruel journey only taken by those whose only options are possible death at sea or certain death on land.
Both had suffering heaped upon suffering; the pains of violence and war exacerbated by the trauma of indefinite mandatory detention.
Both ultimately became casualties of the policies of the Australian DIBP.



Upon learning of his friend's death, in August, Khodayar wrote these words,

"Apathetic human beings, I am not writing for you to read my writings because I am sure you will never read them, I am not saying anything because I am sure you never will never understand me, I am not looking at you because I am sure you never pay attention to me, I am not calling you because I am sure my tears are useless for you, therefore I am only laughing……… no matter what I do for you I am just a Hazara and a refugee….."

When he sent me this message, I didn't anticipate that two and a half months later he too would be dead.

His thoughts, I'm sure, are shared by many who are, or have been, confined within the walls of Australia's detention centres. To my dear friends who remain in this situation, particularly those in Yongah Hill who knew one or both of these men, please know that your worth is not dictated by your status as a refugee or your identity as a Hazara. Your life has value, you deserve to live, you deserve freedom. We will keep reading your writings, hearing your words and shouting them from the rooftops until the rest of Australia understands your plight. Your tears are not useless and neither are you. You are not forgotten.

I think these words, written by Nasim in the months preceding his death, are apt to reflect upon here. There is no doubt in my mind that racism and xenophobia killed these young men, for these are the very foundations of 'deterrence', of 'stop the boats' and of mandatory detention.

"Today went while I was waiting for some rain (mercy), tomorrow I will wait for the lights of the horizon. People in the detention centre are restless and they are all longing for a day out of the camp, they spent the nights on watching the news…… and days on displaying more resilience and patience, unaware of the fact that their country is burning in the drought of racism. The politicians have forgotten the country. Even the mourning of the hungry kids doesn’t wake them up as if their hearts are made of stone. They drive pass the same desperate people everyday and stare at them through the tinted windows of their limousine; all they think about is their own positions and powers. Shame on their racist hearts. May God eradicate racists and racism from my country."

On a different occasion, Nasim shared this poem:
"There is not enough time, it might be too late when one realizes.... But we still don’t believe the reality…. It might be too late when you come to see me… You will not have any other option but to cry at my grave and by saying that this was the destiny…… (Please pray for me dears)"

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of crying at the graves of young, innocent men.....

No comments:

Post a Comment