Tuesday 8 December 2015

Fifth letter


Dear Khodayar, the first time I heard about what happened to you was on the Monday. Someone said another refugee had burnt themself, this time in Dandenong. I wanted to find out more but there was a giant silence for the next few days. Like the ocean swallowing a person. Who was it? Are they all right?
Then I learnt your name and I saw your face and I found out that you aren’t all right. That in the deepest pit of misery that we heaped on you, you decided to cut your life. And you did cut it. That camp by the creek was the last home that you knew. The protection of the leaves and the earth was not enough to keep you safe from the men who were looking for you. Khodayar I had to visit your camp to get closer to you, to offer comfort to you. Khodayar, your words are very powerful; the stories of your life and your journeys are heroic. I think of you in the night, crossing from one side to the other. Love Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment