Thursday 11 February 2016

Fifteenth letter to my friend Khodayar


Dear Khodayar, as humans we share things. You and I can be hurt, we can be beaten and tortured. You and I can be scared and we can be enslaved. You and I can be humilliated and we can be killed. These are things that can be done to us or to any other human. I know I have protections against these things happening that others don’t have. I have my maleness, my whiteness and my wealth. But these are still possibilities for all of us, for all the sisters and brothers of this world.
Khodayar, all these things were done to you. They were done by other humans. These are bad things, ugly things. Things that should never be done. I am terrified to change places with you, for these things to happen to me. You needed asylum but you ended up in the barrens. A place bereft of compassion and love, that runs on racist violence. All you knew were false humane slogans and harsh treatments. You knew such bitterness here in the barrens. Love Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment