Tuesday 26 January 2016

Twelth letter for Khodayar


Dear Khodayar, I go to the Maiwand supermarket in Dandenong and I buy the dried apricots and dried mulberries from Afghanistan. After this I go to your camp by the creek and clean up any rubbish I can find there. There is a rhythm to my movements as I work in the hot sun. I am dealing with certainty now, but you lived with possibilities. A door broken down in the night, a bomb at the market, or a new life on a different continent.
Khodayar, you were on the move from the day you were born. We are all at the mercy of things much bigger than our lives but there was a shadow on your face before you even had a name. Your family would be taken by the endless war and your heart condemned to the endless road. A hero must take his chance when the time comes. The sun is never foreign to any of the children of this planet. Love Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment