Friday 8 January 2016

To Khodayar with love, tenth letter


Dear Khodayar, again I take up my pen to write to you. I have to tell you that I read your words, I pay attention to you and I understand you. Your tears are not useless to me, they are beautiful to me. They are precious. You have taken me with you from the village where you were born to the bush camp where you ended your life. You are an Hazara and you are a refugee; you are full of human dignity and you were born free. You spent your life to stay free. You are an Australian and a citizen of the sea. You are the traveller from the mountains who must take his chance on the ocean.
It is in the hearts of people that our boat will be wrecked or saved, not amidst the salt waves. Your death is like a mystery that must be solved and I am the survivor who must redeem this. They say that the dead have no voice. So why do your words become more and more compelling and urgent each day that passes after your death? Water tastes different to me now that you are gone. Love Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment